Week 6 – Exploring the use of tuning score

Blog written: Saturday 11th March 2017
The discoveries I made throughout this session were quite fragmented and reflected my explorations of the tuning score. Using the different skills of play, pause, resituate, replace, rewind and end. Following the stimuli of an image, connecting with a partners image and exploring together the vocabulary. I felt that I was trying to adapt my feedback to create new movement vocabulary, making it interesting and exploitative.
Using the knowledge learnt from the past weeks focussing on senses and listening to each body in the space, using the sense felt feeling of time being perceived from one another. Throughout the Jam we explored manipulations of body parts with partners, the touch and pressure against the body part touched. The images we explored shown our partners habitual movements in such a way when the body part was touched in the same way it had before, it was noticeable and could see the partner trying to fight against it and discover new ways to enhance the specific body part.
The reading (Lisa Nelson on JJ Gibson and Dance- pdf file on blackboard) explores the ways of using senses to adapt with movement in a humanised behaviour, it talks about the research being undertrained by others in such a way that assumptions are created and cause a perception of the mind, my understanding of this being when we move without thinking it is more free and expressive and when thinking too much we don’t give ourselves the flow of movement fluidity.
Interlinking play as a concept of expressing non-thinkable movement, how we used play in the first week ‘the use of the bean bag’. The task of catch, pause and run creates an image and is different at each attempt of catching the bean bag. Buckwalter expresses the focus of image, my understanding is how we can explore new ideas and the changing of emotive feelings to the given image (Buckwalter, 2010 p.90-105). Likewise in this weeks class we created a solo stillness and another body joined the image and improvised with the eyes closed until resonating the pause and opening the eyes when a second image was created. I felt very well enclosed and connected during this task and found it particularly difficult.

Buckwalter, M. (2010) Composing while dancing: An Improviser’s Companion. 1st ed. University of Wisconsin Press.